NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
Silent Letters I_vote_lcapSilent Letters I_voting_barSilent Letters I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

Silent Letters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TANViR
Support Team
 Support Team

Male
Club Id : 1907072
College Roll : 6074075
Executive Committee Post : General Secretary 2007

Silent Letters Empty
PostSubject: Silent Letters   Silent Letters I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 3:30 am

Words are often misspelled when they contain a letter that is not pronounced - the silent p in psychology and related words is an obvious example. It's easy to leave out these silent letters. Some letters are particularly likely to give trouble:

> C. Many words are spelled with a silent c following s: for example abscess, descend (with descent); omniscient; words ending in -esce, -escent, or -escence, such as acquiesce, effervescent, convalescent. A silent c may also occur before k or q: examples include acknowledge; acquainted; acquire.

> D. Silent d is easy to omit before j, as in adjourn; adjunct; adjudicate; adjust.

> G. G should precede n in words like align; foreign; reign. G is also sometimes followed by a silent u, as in guarantee; guard; beleaguered.

> H. Silent h is particularly common after r - as in diarrhoea (made harder by the double r and the diphthong oe); haemorrhage (a double r adds to the difficulty again); rhythm.C is another letter likely to be followed by h- in saccharine, for example - and remember the h in silhouette.

While thinking about silent letters, remember the t in mortgage and the b in debt and subtle. Watch out as well for the i in parliament.

Some words may have whole syllables that are not pronounced and may be left out in writing. Contemporary is is often pronounced and spelled contempory; itinerary is similar.

Sometimes the omission of a letter or syllable comes from a mistaken pronunciation. Many people fail to pronounce the c in Arctic and Antarctic, and so leave it out when writing the words. The first r in February is often left out in both speech and writing, as is the first r in secretary. Quantitative may be shortened in speech to the more manageable quantitive, and spelled accordingly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.ndecforum.co.cc

Silent Letters
Page 1 of 1