NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
~7 Secrets in English~ I_vote_lcap~7 Secrets in English~ I_voting_bar~7 Secrets in English~ I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
~7 Secrets in English~ I_vote_lcap~7 Secrets in English~ I_voting_bar~7 Secrets in English~ I_vote_rcap 
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

~7 Secrets in English~

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male
Club Id : 1907034
College Roll : 6072079

~7 Secrets in English~ Empty
PostSubject: ~7 Secrets in English~   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 4:58 am

Here are some interesting facts about English. I hope you'll like it. I'll post others one by one. Stay tuned!

Secret #1: LEARN ABOUT WORD STRESS

Word Stress is golden key number one for speaking and understanding English. Word Stress is *very important*. You can try to learn about Word Stress. This is one of the *best* ways for you tounderstand spoken English - especially English spoken fast.

What is Word Stress?

Take 3 words: photograph, photographer and photographic, for example. Do they sound the same when spoken? No! They sound different, because *one* syllable in each word is "stressed" (stronger than the others).

PHOtograph

phoTOgrapher

photoGRAPHic

This happens in ALL words with 2 or more syllables:
TEACHer, JaPAN, CHINa, aBOVE, converSAtion, INteresting, imPORtant, deMAND, etCETera, etCETera, etCETera

The syllables that are not stressed are 'weak' or 'small' or 'quiet'. Native speakers of English listen
for the stressed syllables, not the weak syllables. If you use Word Stress in your speech, you will instantly and automatically improve your pronunciation and your comprehension.

If you have an English teacher, ask her to help you understand Word Stress. Try to hear the stress in words each time you listen to English - on the radio, or in films for example. Your first step is to *hear* and recognise it. After that, you can *use* it!

Last edited by ornithologist_ on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.britishcouncil.org
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Part 2   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:29 am

Secret #2: SENTENCE STRESS

Sentence Stress is golden key number two for speaking and understanding English. With Sentence Stress, some *words* in a sentence are "stressed" (loud) and other words are weak (quiet). Look at the following sentence:

We want to go.

Do we say every word with the same stress or force? No! We make the important words *big* and the unimportant words small. What are the important words in this sentence? Yes, you're right: WANT and GO.

We WANT to GO.

We WANT to GO to WORK.

We DON'T WANT to GO to WORK.

We DON'T WANT to GO to WORK at NIGHT.

It's impossible to explain everything about Sentence Stress in this email. The important thing for you is
that you know it exists and try to learn about it. Sentence Stress is *very important*!

Last edited by ornithologist_ on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Part 3   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 am

Secret #3: LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN!

Students sometimes say: 'I don't listen to the BBC news on the radio because it's too fast for me and I can't understand it.' That's a pity! When it's too fast for you, when you can't understand it, that is exactly when
you NEED to listen to it!!!

How can you improve if you don't listen and practise?

When you were a baby, did you understand your own language? When you were 3 weeks old, or 2 months, or 1 year, did you understand everything? Of course not! But you *learned* to understand by *listening*. Think about it. You learned to understand your own language by listening, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After that, you learned to speak. Then you learned to read. And then you learned to write. *But listening came first!*
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: part 4   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 am

Secret #4: DON'T LISTEN!

In the last secret I said LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN!

Now I say DON'T LISTEN! What do I mean?!

Do you know the difference between the verbs TO LISTEN and TO HEAR? TO LISTEN is active. TO HEAR is passive. Sometimes you can LISTEN too hard. Sometimes you can TRY too hard. Sometimes it is better only to HEAR. Let the radio play. Let the cassette play. But DON'T listen. Just HEAR. Your ubconscious will listen for you. And you will still learn. If you listen and try to understand, you may block on one word and get frustrated. Don't worry! Just HEAR! Believe me, you will still be learning. The important thing is to let the radio or cassette or television or record PLAY. Let it play. And you - you do nothing. Your brain will HEAR, your subconscious will LISTEN and you will LEARN!
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Part 5   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:12 am

Secret #5: IMPROVE YOUR VOCABULARY WITH 5 WORDS A DAY

Vocabulary is easy! How many days in a year are there? 365, normally (on Earth).

If you learn only 5 new words a day, you will learn 5 x 365 = 1,825 new words in a year. ONE THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE WORDS. That is a lot of new words. And we are not counting all the other words you will learn in other ways - reading, conversation etc. Buy a notebook and write in 5 new words EACH day, EVERY day. Learn them! You will soon have an excellent vocabulary.
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Part 6   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 am

Secret #6: 30 MINUTES A DAY BETTER THAN 3.5 HOURS A WEEK

In fact, 30 minutes of English study once a day is better than 5 *hours* once a week! Study regularly.
Study often.

LITTLE + OFTEN is better than LOT + SOMETIMES.

It's easier, too. You can easily find 30 minutes each day. How? You can get up 30 minutes earlier. Or have a
shorter lunch break. Fix a particular time every day - and keep it!
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Part 7   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 am

Secret #7: REVISE! REVISE! REVISE!

If you revise, you'll improve your learning by 100%.

What does "to revise" mean? It means "to read again". You should be systematic about this. When you learn something, you should note it. Then you should *look at it again*, 3 times:
- after 1 day
- after 1 week
- after 1 month

Each time you revise, test yourself.

Learn, revise, test.
Revise, test.
Revise, test.

NOTE:
revise (BrE): read again to improve one's knowledge
revise (BrE & AmE): read and correct; update
Back to top Go down
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male

PostSubject: Thank you   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:21 am

These are the 7 important secrets for you. I hope you'll like it. If you have any suggestions regarding this then please click here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ~7 Secrets in English~   ~7 Secrets in English~ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

~7 Secrets in English~
Page 1 of 1