NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
Fun facts about the English language I_vote_lcapFun facts about the English language I_voting_barFun facts about the English language I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
Fun facts about the English language I_vote_lcapFun facts about the English language I_voting_barFun facts about the English language I_vote_rcap 
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

Fun facts about the English language

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ornithologist_

ornithologist_

Male
Club Id : 1907034
College Roll : 6072079

Fun facts about the English language Empty
PostSubject: Fun facts about the English language   Fun facts about the English language I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm

No word in the English language rhymes with month.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the English language.

"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."

There are only four words in the English language which end in"-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.

There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, "therein": the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, here, ere, therein, herein.

No words in the English language rhyme with orange, silver or purple.

'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable."
Back to top Go down
http://www.britishcouncil.org

Fun facts about the English language
Page 1 of 1