NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_vote_lcapChanging the mood of a sentence (modals) I_voting_barChanging the mood of a sentence (modals) I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_vote_lcapChanging the mood of a sentence (modals) I_voting_barChanging the mood of a sentence (modals) I_vote_rcap 
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

Changing the mood of a sentence (modals)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CHAiTY
Support Team
 Support Team
CHAiTY

Female
Club Id : N/A
College Roll : N/A

Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) Empty
PostSubject: Changing the mood of a sentence (modals)   Changing the mood of a sentence (modals) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 12:03 am

In English, you can show what you feel about a situation by using words such as may, will, would, might, can and could.

These words can change the meaning of a sentence and show that something is possible, necessary, uncertain, or intended.

"For example, "I'll go shopping tomorrow" shows that you intend to go tomorrow.

"I might go shopping tomorrow" shows that perhaps you will go tomorrow, but you don't know for sure.

When you use these words, remember:

* They are followed by the verb without to.

* You don't need an 's' for the third person singular: "He might come to the party." (Not "he mights come to the party".)

* You can make a question by putting the word before the person, not by using 'do' or 'have': "Could you help me?" (Not "do you could help me?")

* You can make a negative form by adding a form of not to the word:

can becomes can't

will becomes won't

might becomes might not (or mightn't)

may becomes may not

could becomes couldn't.

How possible something is

"The company might relocate next year."

"We may have to wait an hour for dinner in this restaurant."

"It can get very cold here in winter."

"We could all live to be 100 years old in theory."

How certain something is

"She'll get promoted next year."

"He won't agree to that idea."

"You must be our new neighbour."

"If you left now, you would get the train."

Offers and requests

"Shall I open the door for you?"

"I'll cook dinner, if you like."

"Could you help me?"

"Can you pass me the salt, please?"

Permission

"Can I open the window, please?"

"You may now look at your exam papers." (This is formal.)

Ability

"I can cook, but I can't drive."

"I couldn't speak French very well when I was at school."

Using should, must and need

These words help you to talk about rules, obligation and advice.

Should

We use should to give advice.

"If you want to learn English, you should practise as much as possible."

We can also use should to talk about what we expect to happen.

"He should be here by now - he left over an hour ago."

The negative of should is shouldn't.

"You shouldn't eat so much chocolate - it's bad for you."

Must

We use must to talk about obligation.

"I must call my grandmother today - it's her birthday."

If you want to say the opposite - that there is no obligation to do something, use don't have to or don't need to.

"You don't have to wash the car - I'll do it."

"You don't need to put the rubbish out - I've already done it."

We can also use must to talk about what we think is logically certain.

"You must be tired after all that travelling."

If you want to say that something is logically impossible, use can't.

"Who's that at the door? It can't be the postman - he's already been."

Mustn't means that it is not allowed to do something.

"You mustn't feed animals in the zoo - it's not allowed."

Should have done

Look at this example dialogue:

"You know… my car was broken into yesterday."

"How terrible. What did you do?"

"Oh, nothing."

"You should have called the police."

We use the pattern should have done to talk about what we think would have been the best thing to do. However, the past event we are talking about cannot be changed. So the pattern after should is have done - not should do.

In the example dialogue, the person didn't contact the police yesterday (in the past), so you can't change the situation. You can only say what action would have been the best in this situation.
Back to top Go down

Changing the mood of a sentence (modals)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NDEC Family :: English :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Free forum hosting  | Art, Culture and Leisures | Misc | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com