NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
How to choose your English Tenses I_vote_lcapHow to choose your English Tenses I_voting_barHow to choose your English Tenses I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
How to choose your English Tenses I_vote_lcapHow to choose your English Tenses I_voting_barHow to choose your English Tenses I_vote_rcap 
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

How to choose your English Tenses

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CHAiTY
Support Team
 Support Team
CHAiTY

Female
Club Id : N/A
College Roll : N/A

How to choose your English Tenses Empty
PostSubject: How to choose your English Tenses   How to choose your English Tenses I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 12:26 am

Using the correct tense and verb form is important in English grammar. Here's a simple rule to help you choose which tense to use - which tense you use depends on how you see the event or action.

Routine or permanent situations

- use the simple form.
For example, "I live in London" tells you that "live" is true all the time - London is my home.

"I lived in the countryside when I was a child" - this was a long-term situation in the past.

Temporary or continuing situations

- use the continuous form.
For example, "I'm working as a secretary at the moment" - the job isn't permanent and maybe I'm doing it for a while until I get another job.

"House prices are rising" - they are continuing to rise and haven't stopped rising yet.

"She was wearing a black dress" - she put it on before I saw her and she still wore it after I saw her - wearing the dress continued over a period of time.

Connecting different times

- use the perfect form to show that one event was completed before another, or to show that one situation continues from one time to another.

For example, "I have lived here for two years" - I started to live here two years ago and I still live here.

"I will have finished the report before next week" - some time before next week, but I don't know exactly when.

"He had studied law before he met her" - he studied law before he met her, but we don't know when.
Back to top Go down

How to choose your English Tenses
Page 1 of 1