NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Hey, Welcome Back...
NDEC Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Welcome Guest. Please Register and keep visiting.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Executive Committees
Executive Committee 2009
Executive Committee 2008
Executive Committee 2007
Latest topics
» Mr. Nirjhar Adhikary resigned as Moderator of NDEC on DEC 8, 2010
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm by TANViR

» Please add the name of NDEC founder members
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm by TANViR

» saying hi
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am by TANViR

» Executive Committee 2009
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 am by sayem08

» Best Executive Committee
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am by TANViR

» Who is next ?
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:19 am by TANViR

» Latest news of club
Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am by TANViR

Top posters
TANViR (366)
Metaphors & Similies I_vote_lcapMetaphors & Similies I_voting_barMetaphors & Similies I_vote_rcap 
CHAiTY (203)
Metaphors & Similies I_vote_lcapMetaphors & Similies I_voting_barMetaphors & Similies I_vote_rcap 
ornithologist_ (170)
Shimanto (31)
Observer (18)
Judge-master (10)
adel1058 (9)
English Man (5)
iftekhar pavel (4)
Matador (3)
NDEC Reading Room
Online Newspapers

Metaphors & Similies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CHAiTY
Support Team
 Support Team
CHAiTY

Female
Club Id : N/A
College Roll : N/A

Metaphors & Similies Empty
PostSubject: Metaphors & Similies   Metaphors & Similies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Metaphors and Similes: Definitions

Metaphors and similes both call attention to how two different things are similar, so people listening to you can apply the qualities of one thing to the other. The difference between metaphors and similes is that similes hit you over the head with the comparison by using explicit words such as “like” or “as,” -- When Jon Bon Jovi sings “My heart is like an open highway,” that's a simile because he used the word “like” to directly make the comparison. Metaphors, on the other hand, don't use direct comparison words. When Tom Cochrane sings “Life is a Highway,” that's a metaphor because there's no word such as like or as. Metaphors are a bit more subtle. You can remember the difference between similes and metaphors by remembering that simile has the letter l in it, just like the word “like,” which you often use in a simile.

Metaphors and Similes: Uses

People use these figures of speech when speaking romantically. “Dearest, your eyes sparkle as starlight in the water of a deep, cool well.” The speaker is drawing a parallel between his beloved’s eyes and starlight in a well. She doesn’t actually have wells for eyes; if she did, she would slosh when she walked. But her eyes do sparkle, and that is the connection he’s drawing.

You can also use metaphors and similes to help explain concepts that confuse your listener. First, identify the point you want to explain. Then find a topic your listener might know well where that point also comes up. Then use a comparison to link your point to the familiar topic to help your listener understand.
Back to top Go down

Metaphors & Similies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NDEC Family :: English :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com